A wonderful reminder of the early life in the Parksville is St. Anne’s Anglican Church. This church was partially built, and was paid for by the local residents. The church was consecrated on July 26, 1894, and is now the oldest Anglican church still in use in Western Canada. Construction on the church had begun on April 17th of that year, when the land was cleared for the church. In 1889 the number of people in the area was quite small, estimated at only 38. The 1891 census listed only 150 people in the area of Mid Vancouver Island, that now includes Nanoose, Parksville, French Creek, Qualicum Beach, Qualicum Bay, Errington, Coombs, and Hilliers. In 1898 records indicate membership of this church was eleven families and 48 individuals. The numbers were small, but the spirit was strong.